By changing some classic toppings on the traditional burger, you can easily make it into a healthy meal. For example, to cut down on fat, try swapping mayo for a Greek yogurt and balsamic vinegar spread!
Summer’s finally here and so is our much-needed, well-deserved vacation time! Nothing tops off a lazy day lounging around the pool better than a meal cooked on the BBQ. Here are 5 creative ideas to give your burgers a deliciously refreshing and healthy touch.
1 Add fruits
Their sweetness pairs beautifully with the classic salty flavour of burgers. Plus, fruits are a good source of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants.
Some winning combinations include:
- Mango slices cut lengthwise
- Thin slices of pear and Brie cheese
- Strawberry slices and balsamic vinegar
- Cherry compote
- A handful of blueberries incorporated into your burger mixture—you’ll be surprised at how tender it makes them
2 Mexican-style burgers, olé!
Mexican ingredients aren’t just for tacos—they’re a quick and delicious way to spice up your burgers! Legumes such as black beans are an excellent source of fibre, especially soluble fibre. They help to control blood glucose levels and reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- For a 100% vegetarian burger, opt for a black bean patty, topping it with thin slices of avocado and red onion.
- Prepare a kidney bean purée to replace the traditional condiments. Simply sauté a finely chopped garlic clove in vegetable oil. Add beans and a bit of cumin and chili powder. Cook until beans are done, then mash. Drizzle with lemon juice and you’re done!
- Sweet and salty salsa composed of corn niblets, mango and avocado cubes, and fresh cilantro.
3 Think green!
This summer, look beyond the traditional iceberg lettuce and experiment with new leafy greens. They have a very high nutrient density, meaning they provide a great deal of nutrients in relation to their calories. Try Boston lettuce, microgreens, mâche, arugula, alfalfa sprouts or even dandelion and beet leaves. And the more adventurous can add kale chips.
4 Greek-style burgers
Send your taste buds on a Mediterranean journey!
- Prepare a tzatziki sauce with Greek yogurt, chopped cucumber and crushed garlic.
- Mix a bit of balsamic vinegar with some Greek yogurt (or mayonnaise).
- Hide small cubes of feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes in your burger mixture.
- Use whole wheat pita bread to change up the traditional bun.
5 Burger with pesto and grilled veggies
- Prepare pesto, swapping the usual nuts for roasted soy seeds. In addition to being more economical, roasted soy seeds have twice as much protein as fat compared to nuts.
- Top your burgers with grilled veggies such as bell peppers, zucchini, onion and eggplant.
Have fun experimenting with new flavours and showing friends and family who’s the star of the grill!
Read more on the subject
4 tips to start the year on the right footRead article +
Getting those vitamins: which vegetables to chooseRead article +
Hot flashes: fighting fire with foodRead article +
4 tips for benefiting from the power of foodsRead article +
Dehydrated skin: the food you need for beautiful skinRead article +
Staying on track with your health goals even while on vacationRead article +
Choose matcha, and make the most of your holidaysRead article +
Let saffron transport you to exotic placesRead article +
4 easy smoothie recipes to jumpstart your morningsRead article +
5 tips for eating well for people who don’t like healthy foodsRead article +
Anatomy of a perfect buddha bowlRead article +
3 homemade pumpkin spice latte recipesRead article +
6 healthy snack ideas for your summer outingsRead article +
4 healthy and fun brunch ideasRead article +
15 Myths About NutritionRead article +
Are they gluten-free?Read article +
Dry hair? The food you need for fabulous hair.Read article +
Anti-aging tips: fighting wrinkles with dietRead article +
3 tips for cooking healthy while campingRead article +
Food trends – what movie stars loveRead article +
Flavoured water: jazz up your water to stay hydratedRead article +
Food and gluten allergies: finding the right substitutesRead article +
5 trending foods in 2016Read article +
3 tips to eat betterRead article +
6 answers to your questions about vitamins and mineralsRead article +
Is barbecuing in winter possible?Read article +
8 glasses of water a day—myth or fact?Read article +
6 ways to create a fun and healthy lunch boxRead article +
5 summer fruits and veggies to (re)discoverRead article +
5 snacks to bring to festivalsRead article +