Since the dawn of time, we have been eating berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and cranberries. We like their unrivalled taste, and recently, we have also begun to appreciate them for their health benefits.
Amongst all foods, berries steal the spotlight for their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants are active compounds that protect our cells from the molecules and free radicals that can damage them. Foods that have high levels of antioxidants, such as berries, help reduce the risk of chronic and degenerative diseases. Blueberries and cranberries are good for heart health, for instance. Generally, the darker the fruit, the higher in antioxidants it is. On top of their antioxidant powers, berries are packed with other nutrients, such as vitamin C, fibres, and potassium.
Berries, Berries, Everywhere!!
- Add them to muffins, cookies or puddings.
- Sprinkle your cereal or oatmeal with dried blueberries or cranberries.
- Replace some of the apples with berries in fruit crisps.
- Add berries to your homemade smoothies.
- Toss them in salads for a little taste of summer.
- Mix berries into sauces to accompany barbecued foods.
- Flavour water, iced tea, mojitos or salad dressings with berries.
- Crush them with a fork and mix into plain yogurt for a sweet touch.
Did you know?
Fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables have more or less the same nutritive value. When berries aren’t in season, you can use frozen berries in your cooking. Some of these frozen products are grown and packaged in Quebec.
Linda Montpetit, nutritionniste Metro
Read more on the subject
It’s Time for a Drink!Read article +
Healthy BBQ cookingRead article +
The egg: the food with (almost) super powers!Read article +
When food becomes a chore! Gluten intolerance and celiac diseaseRead article +
10 inexpensive ingredients for low-budget mealsRead article +
10 tips for eating more fruitRead article +
9 food combinations that offer incredible health benefitsRead article +
Turn your favourite dishes into healthy meals!Read article +
Eat superfoodsRead article +
Learn more about vegetarianism!Read article +
Why you should eat soy, and how to integrate it into your dietRead article +
Tips for a healthy dietRead article +