Belbuca buccal film 450mcg
This medication is a narcotic pain reliever. Typically, it is used to relieve pain. Its effects can be noticed within a few hours.Find a Pharmacy
This medication is contained in a buccal film that dissolve in the mouth. To use:
- do not use the film if the pouch seal is broken or if the film is cut, damaged, or changed in any way;
- wet the inside of the cheek with your tongue or rinse your mouth with water;
- open the pouch;
- insert your dry and clean forefinger into the pouch and place it on the white side of the film;
- place the yellow side of the film against the inside of the moistened cheek and hold the film in place for 5 seconds;
- leave the film in place until it has completely dissolved, do not chew or swallow the film;
- avoid eating or drinking until it has dissolved (usually 30 minutes).
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. It is not advisable to stop using this product suddenly, particularly if you have been on it for several weeks. If you are considering stopping the medication, talk to your doctor or pharmacist first.
Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice during your treatment. Grapefruit can seriously affect how this medication works. Avoid consuming alcohol or alcohol-containing products while taking this medication.
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause constipation -- to prevent this, drink plenty of water or juice, and eat more dietary fibre;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause drowsiness or dizziness -- use caution if driving;
- it may cause leg swelling or water retention.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
Rarely, this product causes potentially severe reactions, mostly if taken at high doses or with some other drugs. If you experience agitation, confusion, diarrhea, fever, tremor and muscular rigidity or contractions you should contact your doctor.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.