The summer beauty forecast calls for clear skies ahead highlighting shades of dewy-fresh orchid, bright magenta, scorching tangerine and hot red. Here's this summer's Lipstick Color Primer:
Purple reign with the colour of the year, Orchid
Pantone declared orchid the "it" colour of the year. What better time than summer to adorn your lips with a shade that is blooming with confidence.
Think Pink… with Magenta
Some like it hot and magenta certainly fits the bill. With sunkissed skin, this shade makes your smile light up and your eyes sparkle.
We like: Chantal Lacroix - La Fougueuse
Formulated with beeswax, this creamy formula offers moisturizing power and comfort. Its magenta colour is vibrant, rich and ravishing… what's not to like?
Code Red… Hot!
Whether paired with a little black dress or jeans or sailor stripes, red is always right for a classic look. This summer, red goes velvety matte. Keep the rest of your makeup subdued with just a graphic cat-eye for an effortlessly sexy vibe.
Orange Crush with a Tangerine twist
The newest beauty obsession, orange is on the lips of everyone right now. It may seem like a daring or hard-to-wear choice, but it's just all about finding the correct shade and intensity to suit you.
Now that you're ready with your trend-setting colour primer, let's talk about texture and technique…
Gloss, matte or lacquer, what's your beauty pleasure?
The runways this season showed super dramatic matte lips. The key to wearing matte is to moisturize lips before for a velvety finish that never looks dry.
Gloss lipstick is great choice for summer. Try one of the jumbo stick formulas with varying degrees of intensity. They are ideal to layer and create a custom shade or add depth to matte lips when applied to the centre of lips.
Lacquers are often found in liquid formulas with a soft wand applicator. They offer intense colour and shine. Choose one enriched with moisturizers for soft, smooth lips.
The easiest way to look pulled together and polished is with lipstick.
Simple steps for long-lasting lip colour…
- Exfoliate lips with a damp toothbrush to get rid of flaky, dead cells
- Use a lip primer or moisturizer, preferably one with an SPF to protect lips
- Using a lip brush, apply a thin layer of concealer over lips
- Using a lip pencil that matches your lipstick or your lips, outline your lip contour and then blend all over lips
- Apply lipstick to the back of your hand, then apply to lips using your lip brush
- Apply a second layer from the lipstick directly onto lips, opening mouth slightly to ensure you get into outer corners
- Blot lipstick with a tissue and apply loose or pressed powder OVER the tissue to set lipstick in place.
Read more on the subject
Lip makeup tips for a radiant smileRead article +
Seeing Red!Read article +
Tips And Tricks For Beautiful LipsRead article +