Just like you, your skin needs a proper night’s rest. Nighttime is when your skin cells have a chance to regenerate and recover from daily skin aggressors. Not sure how to start a nighttime beauty routine or what types of products will give you the best results? Read on to find out.
Choose a routine that’s fast and efficient
- Remove any makeup and wash your face. This step is essential to any skincare routine! In addition to getting rid of any dirt that’s had a chance to accumulate during the day (dust, pollution, etc.), washing your face will help clear your pores and make it easier for products to penetrate into the skin, allowing them to work more effectively overnight. To avoid irritating your skin, choose a gentle cleanser that will remove any impurities while keeping your sebum production balanced.
- Apply a toner or serum. Due to their high concentration of active ingredients, toners and serums will help make your moisturizer more effective. For best results, be sure to choose a product that targets your primary skin concerns. For example, a formula rich in hyaluronic acid will supply some serious hydration, while vitamin A will stimulate collagen production.
- Use a tapping motion to apply a small amount of eye cream to the skin around your eyes. Lighter than regular moisturizers, eye creams nourish the skin around this fragile area without weighing it down. This step will prevent you from waking up in the morning with puffy eyelids.
- Apply a generous layer of moisturizer all over your face and neck. Choose a nighttime formula designed to revitalize your skin.
Once or twice a week:
- Exfoliate your face and neck after cleansing to remove dead skin cells and any stubborn impurities. Exfoliating also helps other skincare products penetrate deeper into the skin. Choose a light peel or a gentle, non-abrasive scrub that won’t irritate your skin.
- Apply a mask that’s suited to your skin type to enhance the effectiveness of your other products. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before starting your evening skincare routine, or use a leave-on formula in place of your nighttime moisturizer. Your skin will benefit from having ample time to absorb all the active ingredients while you sleep.
Find the right ingredients
Look for these key ingredients on your nighttime skincare labels.
- To quench, nourish, and plump up your skin: hyaluronic acid, collagen peptides, argan oil, etc.
- To stimulate cell regeneration and combat oxidation: vitamins A and E, polyphenols, etc.
- To even out your complexion: retinol, vitamin C, etc.
Choose formulas adapted to your skin type...
- For dry skin, choose rich, ultra-nourishing products, such as cleansing oils and thick creams.
- For oily skin, opt for lighter formulas, such as foaming cleansers and moisturizing gels.
- For acne-prone skin, use soothing, purifying, non-comedogenic skincare products designed to reduce inflammation, slow the growth of bacteria, and prevent clogged pores.
- For sensitive skin, be sure to choose restorative, extra gentle ingredients that will prevent irritation and offer added protection against skin aggressors.
...and your age!
- In your 20s, prioritize moisturizing formulas that will help your skin repair sun damage and fight the effects of sleep deprivation.
- In your 30s, choose anti-wrinkle nighttime treatments to slow the first signs of skin aging, brighten your complexion, and refine the texture of your skin.
- If you have mature skin, use anti-aging products formulated to reduce dryness and dehydration, stimulate collagen production, accelerate cell renewal, and smooth wrinkles.
Other articles for your beauty routine
Looking for the perfect products for your skin?
Come visit us in-store! Our cosmetic specialists can help you identify your skin type and suggest products that fit your needs and budget.
Beauty at affordable prices
Check out our flyer to discover this week’s discounts!