Flovent Hfa metered inh. 250mcg
This medication contains an anti-inflammatory drug from the cortisone family (corticosteroid). Typically, it is used to control asthma and prevent crisis. It requires several days to take effect.Find a Pharmacy
Before using this inhaler for the first time, or if you have not used it for more than a week, prime it (by releasing a single puff into the air) to ensure that it works properly.
To use this inhaler, follow these steps:
- remove the cap and shake the inhaler well with the mouthpiece down;
- tilt your head back slightly;
- slowly breathe all the way out;
- place the mouthpiece in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it -- do not bite it;
- start to breathe in, then press down on the canister once, while continuing to breathe in slowly and deeply;
- hold your breath for 10 seconds then breathe out slowly;
- if you have been instructed to use more than one puff, wait 30 seconds before repeating the above steps.
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Use it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. It must be used regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Be sure to keep an adequate supply on hand.
Using this product may cause throat irritation and coughing. You can avoid these problems by thoroughly rinsing your mouth and gargling after each dose. If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose. Do not double the next dose to catch up.
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause an infection of the mouth or throat, known as thrush;
- it may cause nasal irritation or stuffiness;
- it may cause a sinus infection;
- it may cause headaches;
- it may irritate your throat;
- it may cause a cough.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
This product is sensitive to heat. Store it at room temperature, in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.