Heparin Sodium Usp injectable 10,000iu/ml
This medication thins the blood and prevents blockage of blood vessels. It acts on certain blood elements involved in the coagulation process. Typically, it is used for the prevention of blood clots or for deep vein thrombosis (blood clots). It may also have other uses.Find a Pharmacy
This product must be injected under the skin (subcutaneously). Do not shake the container before use. To use:
- if in an ampoule, break off the tip; if in a vial, clean the top with alcohol;
- measure the prescribed dose carefully with a syringe;
- clean the skin at the injection site with an alcohol swab;
- pinch the skin and inject the medication into the fold
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. Avoid excessive alcohol consumption during treatment.
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause bruising at the injection site;
- it may reduce your blood clotting ability -- use extra caution to avoid injury.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Do not allow it to freeze. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
Blood donation is usually refused during this treatment.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.