This medication is typically used for angina (chest pain due to a heart condition) or to lower blood pressure. It may also have other uses. Even though you may not feel its effects, this medication takes effect within a few hours.Find a Pharmacy
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
It is not advisable to stop using this product suddenly, particularly if you have been on it for several weeks. If you are considering stopping the medication, talk to your doctor or pharmacist first. It must be used regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Be sure to keep an adequate supply on hand.
The capsule of this medication should not be opened, crushed or chewed. If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose. Do not double the next dose to catch up.
This medication may be taken with or without food.
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it could cause water retention and swelling;
- it may lower your blood pressure, which could cause weakness and/or dizziness.
- it may cause indigestion;
- it may alter your sense of taste;
- it may make your skin more sensitive to UV rays (e.g., sunlight, tanning lamps) - avoid exposure to UV rays as much as possible and protect yourself when out in the sun;
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you're pregnant or want to become pregnant, or if you're breastfeeding;
- If you use tobacco or cannabis or its derivatives, or if you use recreational drugs;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.