Naloxone injectable 0.4mg/ml
This medication should be administered by someone (bystander, friend or family member) to reverse opioid overdoses before emergency medical assistance becomes available. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.Find a Pharmacy
This product is usually administered in a muscle. To use it:
- emergency medical assistance (911) must be requested before giving the drug;
- the medication should be administered by injection according to the technique you were shown;
- the patient should be turned on the side;
- make sure the airways are opened by gentle tilting the head back and lifting the chin;
- if the person does not respond after 2 to 3 minutes, the injection should be repeated;
- the person should be checked continuously until the ambulance arrives.
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may affect your heart rate;
- it may increase your blood pressure;
- it may cause heavy perspiration;
- it may cause diarrhea;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause shakiness.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.